Friday, April 24, 2009

Reflections

Those of you with a sharp eye will have seen that I have been contacted by the Standards people following a complaint made against me by Councillor Steve Radford last month.

Because the complaint has not been investigated by the Standards Board (or the Standards Committee) I have not been shown a copy of the complaint and thus do not know the detail of it. However, from what I can glean from the decision letter that tells me they are taking no action over the complaint, it would seem to relate to light hearted comments* made several years ago on my website. I am not clear why Councillor Radford has chosen to raise this now, two years after the event.

*I understand that the offending comments were those where I referred to Liberal Democrats and Liberals as "opportunistic b*****ds".

And of course I apologise to anyone who took offence although I would remind readers that they are free to comment on any post - and in fact 13 people did so on the one in question. It is a shame that I am to be pilloried for using a word that a serving Prime Minister, John Major, thought appropriate for his own cabinet.

EDIT:
I think these may be the ones that have upset Steve - although don't forget I have not seen his letter so cannot be sure.

http://louisebaldock.blogspot.com/2007/07/health-and-adult-social-care-select.html
http://louisebaldock.blogspot.com/2007/04/full-list-of-candidates-published.html

8 comments:

Ethical Bill said...

Congratulations on your new title: Officially Liverpool's most Gratuitously Offensive Councillor!

Susan Watson said...

When reading the serious and important nature of the posts below this one, I really do despair of elected members who seem to be more interested in creating mischief and upset than working with the constituents who are in need of help. I hope that you are able to take solace in the knowledge that your opponents must be very scared of you in order to behave in the manner that they do. But I feel very angry about it, on your behalf. Behaviour such as this gives politics a bad name. Please keep on working selflessly for the public good - we need you.

Anonymous said...

Typical Steve Radford...Petty, nasty little man!

Leon said...

Yep the beauty of blogging is it gives direct access to our elected representatives. The down side can be that remarks, even in comments, can be misunderstood leading to serious consequence...

Jimmy P said...

The only thing Steve Radford is missing is a red nose and a big pair of daft shoes!

Keep on keepin' on

Colin said...

On your blog you write what you think. No holds barred, politics with passion. DON'T STOP . If the opposition Green, Pink, Orange, Blue, Yellow (Hello Anonymous), comment, and read it, then you are doing your job. They read your blog because they know a good local councillor who scares the shit(if this word appears it is my choice Cllr Radford, Alastair Machlay[Echo Editor}) out of them.
Do not stop!!
The people of Kensington and Fairfield obviously recognised your passion by electing you. Perhaps Alastair and Steve would like to go for a walk around your constituency and listen to the conversational language that is used (not just there, but every where in this country) and they might realise that the word you used, (that you were told off for), is a lot less horrible than every 10th word they hear.

Anonymous said...

As someone said - typical Steve Radford. I recall how he was mightily offended when he was reported to the standards board a few years back by flo clucas for something equally petty. Seems he is quite happy in his hypocrisy.

Labour Supporter said...

As Jesus said, don't judge and you won't be judged. Don't condemn and you won't be condemned. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.