Sunday, April 26, 2009

Involving schools in our British Citizenship Ceremonies

I wrote to all the Liverpool schools just before Easter, asking if they would like to get involved in our citizenship ceremonies, and Pat, the Superintendent Registrar in Liverpool, tells me she has already had interest from at least two of them. This is really great news, hopefully I will be able to tell you more about that once we have worked a programme up with them.

I suggested they could host a ceremony in their school, or send their choir to sing for the new citizens in the Register office, or perhaps read some poetry, whatever they thought appropriate. It is important that we broaden the involvement of the community in the ceremonies.

Last week I presented naturalisation certifates to two families from Kensington, amongst those gathered, I wonder if there will be any local people at the next one, next week? It is wonderful to be part of something so special in people's lives. I know that all the councillors who act as dignatories at the services get such a lot out of them.

No comments: