Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Another blogger thrown in prison

Further to the earlier post about the man in Afghanistan, Susan Watson has alerted me to another internet blogger who has been thrown in prison.

This man, Fouad Ahmad al-Farhan has been detained "incommunicado" in a prison in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, for complaining on his blog ironically about their regime of detaining people without trial and torturing them.

The campaign to free him is being run by Amnesty International and more detail is available here.

I must say, reading these stories makes me realise just how lucky we are in the West with our freedom of expression.

I have written to the Saudi Ambassador to ask him to step in. I hope you will consider doing the same, on behalf of bloggers and blog readers everywhere.

No comments: