Friday, July 09, 2010

Picasso at the Tate




I really loved the Picasso "Peace and Freedom" exhibition at Liverpool Tate on Albert Dock.

Many people have said many things already, the exhibition has been critiqued by art lovers across the country. I don't propose to add to any of that, because there is no value in just repeating similar comments.




So I want to take a different approach. I was struck by the simplicity of the many drawings of doves, symbolising peace, that populate the exhibition. I cannot draw, I have poor hand/eye co-ordination (and of course that is deeply disappointing to someone who loves art so much). However, I thought it would be interesting to see whether I could recreate the drawings, so I took out my biro and my casework notebook and had a stab at it.

To be brutally honest, they are poor, but I enjoyed it, and it showed me, if I needed to be reminded, that even a very simple sketch, that looks easy, requires enormous skill. Picasso is a true master.

There are some very disturbing images towards the end of the exhibition, feminists tread with care, otherwise, I would recommend that you visit, it is on until August 30th.

No comments: