Monday, October 12, 2009

Further news on Kensington Regeneration/Kensington CIC

Boarded up houses on Edge Lane with painted murals over boarded up windows
Despite my belief that the Executive Board (cabinet) of Liverpool City Council would not take this item without alerting me, in point of fact that is exactly what they did. They took the item on Friday morning, only a few hours after I wrote that last post on the matter. Thankfully my colleague Councillor Nick Small was tipped off and was able to make it to the meeting, whereas I myself was at work all day. I am distinctly unimpressed that following my close involvement in this matter, no-one thought fit to let me know, cock-up, conspiracy, contempt or a cavalier attitude? I don’t know.

Nick said that the Executive Board did recognise some of our concerns, particularly about the size and scale of public support for the CIC model – is it enough given that both MPs and 6 out of the 9 councillors are against the idea? They have consequently referred the matter back to Kensington Regeneration for at least two weeks to look into this.

In the meantime, Jane Kennedy MP and Louise Ellman MP have each written to the Minister expressing their concerns over the value for money of these proposals.

I shall keep you updated.

No comments: