Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Remembrance Sunday

Sunday's Remembrance Day service at St George's Hall was very moving.

I think it is very important to remember those usually very young men, and some women, who died in battles and wars because they believed it was their duty. I think it is also very important to remember those who died in battles and wars they did not even want to be part of, but were conscripted to engage in.

I never have a problem supporting poppy day or Remembrance Sunday, some of my family fought in wars, my great grandfather Sidney Baldock was seriously injured in WW1, his son, my grandfather, Arthur Sidney Baldock won the Oak Leaf for his part in the evacuation of Dunkirk. He was also an ARP warden.

My other grandfather, John Millward, worked nights at Goodyears making tyres for tanks

They deserve nothing less than that we give up an hour once a year to honour and remember them

You dont have to believe in war to honour those who put the people of their country before themselves.

We had a very big event at the Cenotaph at St George's Hall and I was proud to attend as a civic representative of a ward from where many men have gone to many wars.

More than half the Labour Group of councillors were in attendance, a good showing, but I think perhaps next year we might want to think about a three-line whip.

No comments: