Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bistro Yard 2011, L15

Another summer on its way and another hoped-for and keenly anticipated colourful array of annuals in the hanging baskets, pots, tubs and patio containers in my yard.

I planted early this year, Sunday 8th May, only a few days after the local elections. I don't recall ever planting so early before so it will be interesting to see what difference the extra 2-4 weeks growing time will make once summer really arrives. I also planted a new and innovative growing "sheet" with pockets and used veg and fruit grow-bag compost rather than traditional patio compost, so that is another experiment the results of which I am looking forward to.










I have been working over the last few years to eradicate green fly (you won't see another Petunia in any of my containers again) and to beat the slugs and snails at their own game (I have methodically worked out what they will and won't attack and Busy Lizzies, Geraniums and Fuschia in particular seem like a good bet). So I do hope that this year's offerings will do really well.





I sense that this year is going to be about the battle to keep everything well-watered and I have begun by working a small hose into the regime. Here's hoping we don't have a hose-pipe pan in 2011 otherwise the watering will take an hour instead of 15 minutes each day!

Here are a few "before photos", I will post up some "during" and "after" photos in a few months time so that you can see what has been successful.

Any other tips on container gardening will be gratefully received.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, where did you get that pocket planter? Looks like a great idea.

Louise Baldock said...

It is a great idea! Mum and Roj bought it for me at the end of last summer but it was not the right time to use it. I dont know where they got it from, I will ask. In the meantime, google "felt pocket planter" or "wall pockets planter" and combinations like that to see some similar products.