Sunday, November 15, 2009

Homotopia not Homphobia - Arts Festival



I have been really enjoying this year's Homotopia Arts Festival.

I was at the launch in the Novas Contemporary Urban Centre which is a fabulous building, well worth a visit. Warren Bradley spoke, along with an array of senior Police and Fire officers, at the beginning of the festival.

While there I had a look round an amazing art collection, particularly some very fine works from an American, Laurie Lipton who I had not heard of before. Entitled "Extraordinary Drawings" it was a series of highly detailed charcoal and graphite drawings which gave much pause for thought. My favourite was a tryptich, with wings that closed, and further drawings on the outside folded edges. It showed a high rise block, with a scene in every window, showing people going about their lives, each with a TV, every room furnished and decorated according to the individual's taste. Every occupant, where present, shown engrossed in aspects of their lives. While outside, a woman was being stabbed by a violent man, and nobody was taken the slightest bit of notice.

It is on until 29th November, do go and have a look for yourself.

The following night I went to the Unity Theatre to see two films - Yankel Feather, a short documentary about one of the participants of the Our Story exhibition that I wrote about in May when it was featured in the Town Hall on IDAHO day and again in Kensington Library. I was also hoping to see the film about the Project Triangle visit to Poland but alas I had to leave to go to Edge Hill Youth Club before it came on, so I am hoping to be able to see a copy of it later.

The Friday before last I went to FACT to see Sarah Waters in conversation, a great author, I have read the first four of her five books and have asked for the fifth for Christmas. She came across as a very sound, shrewd and interesting woman with an impish sense of humour, I really liked her.

Last Tuesday we showed Paragraph 175 in St Francis of Assisi Academy, as part of our Diversity film series for Kensington Remembers, which dovetailed well into the programme, and then last Thursday I was back in the Unity Theatre to see three stand-up comediennes - the Lavender Girls.

I would like to thank and congratulate Gary Everett, Bev Ayre, Lou Muddle and Toby Coffey for bringing the festival to Liverpool for a 6th time. Marvellous!

No comments: